The hospitality industry’s most promising young talents have been revealed, with the announcement of the 2016 Electrolux Appetite for Excellence finalists.
The annual mentorship program is broken into three categories: Young Chef, Young Waiter and Young Restaurateur.
Now in its 1th year, the program boasts a list of well-respected industry veterans as judges, including Mark Best, Peter Gilmore, Luke Mangan, Nick Hildebrandt and Peter Sullivan.
This year there are 44 finalists. The state finalists in the Young Chef and Young Waiter categories will now have to take part in ‘Cook-Offs’ and ‘Wait-Offs’, as well as a series of interviews with the judges. National finalists for both of these categories will then be selected, and national winners for all three categories will be crowned at an awards ceremony in Sydney on 8 August.
Young Restaurateur national finalists
- Cameron Cansdell, bombini, NSW
- David Ralph, Kim Restaurant, NSW
- Dave Parker, San Telmo, VIC
- Kelvin Shaw, Altair Restaurant, VIC
Young Waiter state finalists
- Andrew Day, AKIBA, ACT
- Chayse Bertoncello, O.MY, VIC
- Dylan Labuschagne, Stillwater/Black Cow Bistro, TAS
- George Papaioannou, Luxembourg Bar & Bistro, VIC
- Imogen Clarke, Restaurant Orana, SA
- Katrina Lee, Panama Dining Room & Bar, VIC
- Mia McIntyre, Michels Restaurant, QLD
- Morgan Golledge, Blackbird Bar & Grill, QLD
- Natasha Janetzki, Blackbird Bar & Grill, QLD
- Rory McCallum, Supernormal, VIC
Young Chef finalists
- Aaron Ward, sixpenny, NSW
- Andre Mcloughlin, The Royal Mail Hotel, VIC
- Braden White, The Apo, QLD
- Cameron Jones, Red Cabbage Food + Wine, WA
- Chris Howard, The Freycinet Lodge, TAs
- Cody Mckavanagh, Biota Dining, NSW
- Joanne Cross, Cucina Vivo, QLD
- Jordan Monkhouse, Aria Brisbane, QLD
- Joshua Gregory, EXP Restaurant, NSW
- Kahwai Lo, Matteo’s, VIC
- Liz Edney, One Penny Red, NSW
- Louise Brown, Montalto Vineyard and Olive Grove, VIC
- Mal Meiers, Fatto Bar & Cantina, VIC
- Mark Glenn, Dinner by Heston, VIC
- Matthew Lee, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, QLD
- Matt Binney, Merricote, VIC
- Mathew Hammond, Elyros Restaurant, VIC
- Michael Conlon, Blackbird Bar & Grill, QLD
- Nichole Horvath, Burch & Purchese Sweet Studio, NSW
- Nick Gannaway, The Bridge Room, NSW
- Phillip Roberts, Eschalot Restaurant, NSW
- Sean Glatt, Petite Mort, WA
- Sean Hillier, Muse Restaurant, NSW
- Sean Townsend, Muse Kitchen, NSW
- Shayne Mansfield, The Long Apron, QLD
- Shohei Kishishita, Coast Restaurant & Bar, QLD
- Thiago Miranda, Church St Enoteca, VIC
- Thomas Smith, Bistro Guillaume, VIC
- Troy Crisante, Bennelong Restaurant, NSW
- Zackary Furst, IDES, VIC
Appetite for Excellence judges and mentors
Opportunities and prizes
- ?Young Chef of the Year: Experience the Electrolux Innovation Centre in Italy courtesy of Electrolux; participate in a four day culinary experience in Italy in 2017 courtesy of Sanpellegrino; return economy international flights to Italy courtesy of Virgin Australia, $3,000 spending money and two weeks’ work experience at a Michelin star restaurant.
- ?Young Waiter of the Year: Attend the World Gourmet Summit 2017 in Singapore. Prize includes return economy international flights courtesy of Virgin Australia and $3,000 spending money; plus a two day visit to a renowned Australian winery with the winemaker, including flights and accommodation.
- ?Young Restaurateur of the Year: Network with industry greats at Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants OR The World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards in 2017, courtesy of Sanpellegrino. Prize includes return economy international flights courtesy of Virgin Australia and $8,000 to invest in their business.