Nomad restaurant closes after fire
Emergency services were called to Sydney restaurant Nomad at about 10.30am on Wednesday 11 September, with firefighters working to contain a blaze that is believed to have broken out in the kitchen before travelling
Multiple crews responded to reports of smoke issuing from the roof of Nomad’s Foster Street location, with the the fire under control by 2pm.
While paramedics were called to the scene, no injuries have been reported with staff as well as occupants of the four story building above the restaurant evacuated safely.
In a statement, owners Al and Rebecca Yazbek thanked fire crews and police and confirmed they would work to reopen the restaurant as soon as possible, pending damage assessment.
According to the SMH, NSW Fire and Rescue is working with the property owners to co-ordinate repairs necessitated by damage to water piping. It’s reported the majority of damage is from smoke and water.
The Middle Eastern restaurant opened on Foster Street, Surry Hills in October 2013 and has earned a consecutive chef’s hat in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 Good Food Guides.
In 2015, 60 people were evacuated during a lunch service when a kitchen fire spread through ducting in the roof.
View this post on Instagram
Today our beautiful restaurant had a fire in the kitchen. We are very grateful no one was injured and @nswfireservice and @nswpolice arrived quickly and ensured the safety of our neighbours and team. To our guests who were booked in today, tonight and tomorrow we are so sorry we are unable to honour your reservation. We look forward to opening ASAP to continue wining and dining you for many moons to come. Until we can assess the damage we cannot give any more information. See you soon at #nomadsydney ⭐️
Image: Gourmet Traveller