Fire at Nomad leads to lunch service evacuation

02 October, 2015 by
Aoife Boothroyd

A fire a popular Sydney restaurant, Nomad forced 60 people to evacuate during lunch service.

According to Fire and Rescue NSW, the fire started in the kitchen then spread through ducting in the roof. Fire crews were called to the scene at around 1.45pm and had the blaze extinguished by around 2pm. No injuries have been reported.

Advertisement

Speaking with SMH, a spokesperson for Fire and Recuse NSW said that the extent of the damage is yet to be determined.

“We have five fire trucks on the scene… I have no idea of the extent of the damage,” the spokesperson said.

Advertisement

Nomad opened on Foster Street, Surry Hills in October 2013 to rave reviews and recently earned a coveted chef’s hat in the 2016 Good Food Guide

UPDATE:

Advertisement

Co-owners Al Yazbek and Rebecca Littlemore said the issue the was delt will swiftly and as a result, the venue only suffered minimal damage and will be reopening for lunch service today 2 (October).

"Our systems are all in check so that when incidents like this occur it is dealt with quickly and effectively," they said in a press release via SMH.

"There is internal damage within our duct work that contractors will be attending to this afternoon and into the night, with a view to reopening tomorrow (2nd October) lunchtime."