The final of the Australian Culinary Federation’s Fonterra Foodservice National Apprentice Competition was held at the West Coast Institute of Training, Joondalup Campus on Wednesday 14th October.
The competition saw finalists from around the country hit the local market with a budget to purchase their ingredients for the competition. The apprentices also had access to products from sponsors: Fonterra, Bidvest, Nestle Professional & Krio Krush.
The awards were presented at a gala dinner at the West Coast Institute of Training. Western Australian apprentices cleaned up at the awards night taking out top honours in three categories: Culinary Student, 2nd Year Apprentice Chef and 3rd/4th Year Apprentice Chef.
Northern Territory was awarded champion 1st Year Apprentice Chef and 3rd Year Apprentice & ACF National Youth Team member, Perth’s Brody-Young Steedman from Co-Op Dining was named Champion Apprentice of the Year taking home a R211 Ultra sponsored by Robot Coupe.
The National Apprentice Competition is a culmination of a number of apprentice competitions that are held Australia-wide throughout the year.
The best apprentice from each apprentice year and culinary student section from each state and territory are then brought together to compete and decide the overall winners.
- Jerome Poret – SA – Bronze
- Christel Darion – VIC – Silver
- Kuo heng Lin – WA – Gold & Champion Culinary Student
2nd Year Apprentice Chefs
- Joshua Lee – NSW – Bronze
- Kelsea House – TAS – Silver
- Wade Fordham – VIC – Silver
- Nick Donovan – ACT – Silver
- Ross Maxwell – SA – Silver
- Mark Johnson – WA – Gold & Champion 2nd Year Apprentice
1st Year Apprentice Chefs
- Hugh Walters – TAS- Silver
- Kasae Fraser – VIC – Silver
- Linh Khanh Tran – WA – Silver
- Rachel Zwarts – SA – Silver
- Zoe Drew – NSW – Silver
- Christopher Carr – QLD – Silver
- Jasmine Sawa – ACT – Gold
- Maria Hoad – WA – Gold & Champion 1st Year Apprentice
3rd/4th Year Apprentice Chefs
- Sheila Mae Hobbs – QLD – Participation
- Sammantha Devlin – ACT – Silver
- Tumelo Nthupi – SA – Silver
- Tenille Brazel – NSW – Silver
- Brad Sutton – VIC – Gold
- Brody Young-Steedman – WA – Gold Champion 3/4th year Apprentice & Apprentice of the Year