WAs best hospitality apprentices and employers recognised
The Hospitality Group Training (HGT) annual awards have wrapped up for another year, with Western Australia’s most promising apprentices, trainees and employers recognised for their contribution to the industry.
HGT general manager, Iain McDougall, said “HGT employs over 100 apprentices and trainees who are currently working in hospitality venues throughout Perth and regional Western Australia. We want people to know that if they’re deciding on a career path or thinking about a sea-change, hospitality is a great and rewarding career option.
“Recent media attention has focused on the problem of worldwide chef shortages from London to New York. The HGT Awards emphasise the fact that career as a chef can guarantee a job anywhere in the world,” he said.
For the second consecutive year the Employer of the Year award went to Jamie’s Italian, which hosts eight apprentices and has had several successful placements since its launch in 2013.
Scott Alfonso from The Keystone Group (in which Jamie’s Italian is part of) accepting the award on behalf of Jamie’s Italian.
- Bell-Vista Fruit & Veg – Most Outstanding 1st Year Apprentice
WINNERS: Cheyenne Miles – Chophouse (Perth)
Madilyne Beeken – The Woodbridge Hotel (Guildford)
- Don Hancey/Panorama Catering – Most Outstanding 2nd Year Apprentice
WINNER: Isabelle Servaas – The Heritage (Perth)
- Australian Hotels Association – Most Outstanding Final Year Apprentice
WINNER: Emily Postill – Northbridge Brewing Company (Northbridge)
- Bell-Vista Fruit & Veg – Most Improved Apprentice
WINNER: Nicolaus Roux – Comestibles (East Perth)
- PFD Food Services – School Apprentice of the Year
WINNER: Sarah Brunger – Araluen Golf Resort (Roleystone)
- Cut It Out – School Trainee of the Year
WINNER: Tom Warner – Parliament House (Perth)
- AMA Apprenticeship and Traineeship Services – School Partnership Award
WINNER: Belmont City College
- Australian Hotels Association – Employer of the Year
WINNER: Jamie’s Italian
- Margaret Johnson -Quiet Achiever Award
WINNER: Lisa Andrewartha – The Breakwater
- Future Now Ambassador Award
WINNER: Gabriela Fabrego Toro – Pearl of Highgate (Highgate)
- John Cox Memorial Trophy/Mondo Butchers Award – Most Outstanding Apprentice
WINNER: Alexis Watson – C Restaurant (Perth)