Well done grilled New York steak with roasted potato wedges on cutting board on dark wooden background

Ibrahims restaurant in Birmingham, England, was taking to court and fined $86,000 after 14 people suffered food poisoning.

Inspectors from Birmingham City Council found the wooden plates the venue was using were not sufficiently cleaned or fit for serving food.

The officials also discovered there was a high level of reliance on the use of disposable gloves and chefs were failing to wash their hands adequately.

After inspectors returned to the venue for a second visit, pink and charcoal-coloured stains were found on the boards. The restaurant was also ordered to pay a $205 victim surcharge to the 14 individuals.

“It is completely unacceptable for businesses to put the health of people eating at their restaurants at risk,” says Mark Croxford, the head of the Environmental Health Department. “The owners were given sound advice which they chose to ignore.”

Although wood planks are rife in venues across the globe, they are easily contaminated and can cause serious illness when they are not cleaned properly.

Image credit: Birmingham City Council

Main image credit: The Picture Pantry


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *