New Zealand’s Mount Brown Estates was the big winner at this year’s Boutique Wine Awards, claiming the Red Wine of Show, Estate Grown and Produced, and Wine of the Show gongs.
The awards were in recognition of the winery’s Grand Reserve Pinot Noir 2013, and were presented at an awards event on 17 July at Sydney’s Doltone House.
For the second consecutive year, Western Australia’s winemaker Darryn Rigg claimed the White Wine of Show award for his 52stones Barrel Select Chardonnay 2014.
The Association of Australian Boutique Winemakers is this year celebrating its 20th anniversary and awards chairman, Huon Hooke said the calibre of the wines entered into the awards was “in part a tribute to the recent run of successful vintages.”
Wineries are able to enter the awards if they produce less than 250 tonnes of wine annually and are independently owned. Of the 1,000 wines that entered, 90 percent were Australian with the remainder coming from across the ditch. The judges awarded 15 trophies, 43 gold medals, 106 silver medals and 336 bronze medals.
Other winners include:
- Sparkling White Wine – Box Grove Vineyard Roussanne 2011
- Semillon – Coolangatta Estate Estate Grown Semillon 2009
- Riesling – Tertini Wines PCC Riesling 2013
- Sauvignon Blanc – Preveli Wines Wild thing Sauvignon Blanc 2014
- White Wine Blends – Knee Deep Wines Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon 2014
- White Wine Varieties – Symphony Hill Wines Viognier 2014
- Merlot – Hickinbotham Coffee Rock Merlot 2010
- Shiraz – Mandoon Estate Frankland Reserve Shiraz 2013
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Woody Nook Wines Gallagher's Choice Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
- Red Blends – Rockcliffe Quarram Rocks Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon 2013
- Other Red Wines – Gipsie Jack Malbec 2013
- Dessert Wines – Allandale Botrytis Viognier 2013
- Fortified Wines – Stanton & Killeen Wines Rare Rutherglen Muscat NV