A Sydney dumpling restaurant has been slapped with a $15,000 fine for unsanitary kitchen conditions that could have “poisoned or even killed” its customers.

According to news.com.au, the owners of Dainty Dumpling House, located in Miranda, south of Sydney, faced Sutherland Local Court on two charges of failing to comply with the relevant food safety requirements.

The restaurant was reportedly infested with cockroaches, had grease covered equipment, dirty floors, uncovered food on shelves and unsuitable hand-washing facilities for staff.

Appearing in court on behalf of the restaurant’s parent company, Dainty Hospitality Group Miranda, director Marco Li was slammed by Magistrate Glenn Bartley, who said it was lucky the restaurant wasn’t being charged for manslaughter.

“You could be in the Supreme Court on a manslaughter charge,” said Bartley.

“It’s good luck rather than management customers weren’t poisoned or even killed. What we have is gross indifference to the health of customers, gross prolonged negligence.”

Bartley said the restaurant had been in unsanitary conditions since 2014 and had continued to neglect measures required by the local council.

Li argued that he was a new director of the company and had been using the business’ limited funds on a long-standing building dispute.

However, Bartley said a small amount of money could have solved the restaurant’s “extreme lack of hygiene”.

News.com.au reports Dainty Hospitality Group was consequently fined a total of $15,000 with court costs.

Image credit: The Flo Show

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *