Len Evans Tutorial scholars announced for 2016
The 12 successful applicants for the 16th Len Evans Tutorial been announced, representing some of the country’s most promising wine and viticulture professionals.
Each year, the Len Evans Tutorial welcomes some of the most elite professionals in wine, vineyard, research, hospitality and sales from across Australia to develop their wine appreciation with the nation’s top wine experts over a week in the Hunter Valley. This year’s Tutorial will run from 31 October to 4 November.
2016 Len Evans Tutorial Scholars:
- Adam Clay, Penfolds, winemaker
- Peter Dillon, Handpicked Wines, senior winemaker
- Peter Fraser, Yangarra Estate Vineyard, GM/winemaker
- Kate Laurie, Deviation Road, winemaker/owner
- Stuart Hordern, Brokenwood Wines, senior winemaker
- Luke Jolliffe, Stella Bella Wines, senior winemaker
- Addy Lam, Black By Ezard, head sommelier
- Ramon Arnavas, Stokehouse Brisbane, head sommelier
- Simon Black, Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove, winemaker
- Penny Jones, Bay of Fires, winemaker/manager
- Paul Beaton, Aria Restaurant, head sommelier
- Wes Pearson, Australian Wine Research Institute, senior scientist
The Tutorial program is designed to define the demands of wine show judging and to define quality by exposing the scholars to the great wine styles of the world. A team of tutors will put the scholars through their paces in what James Halliday described as “the most exclusive wine school in the world.”
The tutors include Ian McKenzie, Michael Hill Smith, Vanya Cullen and James Halliday as well as past scholars Tom Carson, Jim Chatto, Sarah Crowe, Liz Jackson, and Tyson Stelzer.