Leading products recognised at Sydney Royal Cheese & dairy Produce Show
The 2016 Sydney Royal Cheese & Dairy Produce Show winners have been announced, with Bellingen claiming both the Champion Gelato and Champion Sorbet categories.
It was Bellingen’s Chocolate Jaffa gelato and Stewed Plum with Cinnamon & Cloves sorbet products that impressed the judges, however other noteworthy contenders were Harry & Larry’s Ice Cream which took out Champion Premium Ice Cream or Gelato, Gundowring Fine Foods which won Champion Ice Cream and Peters Ice Cream which claimed Champion Novel Ice Cream or Gelato.
Chair of Judges, Mark Livermore, said the competition saw 17 Championships, 153 Gold medals, 225 Silver and 223 Bronze medals awarded over four days of judging.
“We awarded 55 more medals this year in comparison to 2015, which pleasingly was a result of a higher standard of entries from exhibitors,” Livermore said.
“The quality across all classes this year was outstanding, and we saw a significant increase in ice cream entries and many new flavours, which is not only exciting but reflects the popularity trend in the consumer market.
“We have not only seen a rise in the quality of ice creams, gelato and sorbet but interestingly we’re witnessing a growth in small milk producers. For the first time this year, we added a raw milk cheese product class to our competition, which we believe will grow in years to come,” he said.
There were also some big winners in Cheese classes this year, with a Bega-produced Coles product claiming a range of Championships: Champion Cheddar Cheese, Champion Cow Milk Cheese, Champion Cheese of Show and the overall Best in Show. La Vera – The Genuine Art of Cheese Making claimed the remaining award for Champion Specialty Cheese.
Five cheeses were selected for the esteemed Australian Cheeseboard Perpetual Trophy, which aims to give cheese aficionados a “one stop shop for their ultimate cheeseboard selection.” These were:
- The Heritage Burnie, produced by Lion Dairy & Drinks – South Cape Brie
- The Heritage Burnie, produced by Lion Dairy & Drinks – Tasmanian Heritage Red Square
- Meredith Dairy Pty Ltd – Chevre Goats Cheese with Fresh Dill
- Berrys Creek Gourmet Cheese – Riverine Blue
- Coles, produced by Bega Cheese – Extra Reserve Cheddar
A variety of small and large producers featured in the remaining Championships, which included:
- Champion Butter – Fonterra Australia Pty Ltd (Spreyton)
- Champion White Milk – Aldi Stores, produced by Murray Goulburn
- Champion Flavoured Milk – Nulac Foods Pty Ltd
- Champion Yoghurt or Cultured Milk Product – Eat Gourmet
- Champion Dip – Brilliant Food
- Champion Cream – Maleny Dairies
- Champion Dairy Dessert, Custard & Mousse – Yalla Foods Pty Ltd
- Champion Sheep, Goat & Buffalo Milk Product – Berrys Creek Gourmet Cheese