2020 International Junior Sommeliers Competition opens
La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Australia invites young Australian-based sommeliers to compete in the 2020 International Junior Sommeliers Competition.
The annual competition, which began in 2007, offers young sommeliers the opportunity to present their skills and “savoir faire” under highly competitive, intense and grueling testing conditions. From 2020 onward, it will also aim to develop the expertise of young wine and spirit professionals with a special emphasis placed on service skills.
With its relaunch, the competition will focus on young professionals who are still developing their sommelier skills, such as those at the level of Certified Sommelier with the Court of Master Sommeliers.
Australian entrants have medalled in the International Competition each year for the past eight years, with Andres Aragon receiving a Bronze Medal in Seoul, South Korea in 2019.
This year the prize for the Australian National Winner will be $3,000. The National winner will also receive an all expenses paid trip to Lyon for the International Finals. The International Winner will receive a prize of 2,500€ with the Runner-up and Third Place receiving 1500€ and 500€ respectively.
- Tuesday 20 April, regional exams around Australia.
- Monday 15 June, National Finals in Sydney at the InterContinental Sydney, Double Bay.
- 1-5 September, International Finals in Lyon.
The Junior Sommeliers Competition is open to any individual who:
- Is sponsored by an active professional member of La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs.
- Has an interest in the wine and crafted beverage industry and who must file an application with the designated person in the participating country.
- Is at least 21 years of age and will not be older than 27 on the advertised start date of the International Final in the year in which they are participating.
La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs is and International Gastronomy Association with more than 25,000 members in 80 countries, including 10 active Chapters in Australia.