Ten chefs from Australia Pacific will compete for their chance to take part in the S.Pellegrino Young Chef 2018 grand final.
They have been selected from the thousands of applications submitted by young chefs from over 90 different countries, looking for their chance to be part of S.Pellegrino’s search for the world’s best young chef.
Australia Pacific’s 10 selected semi-finalists include:
- Matteo Toffano, Grossi Florentino, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Parveen Prasad, Intercontinental Hotel, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- John Rivera, Restaurant Lûmé, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Dario Manca, Pilu at Freshwater, Freshwater, New South Wales, Australia
- Zackary Furst, Ides, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Robert Fairs, Roots, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Mattia Aloisio, Masion Hotel & Spa at Werribee Park, Werribee Park, Victoria, Australia Jason
- Kim, Sidart, Auckland, New Zealand
- Joshua Gregory, Exp. Restaurant, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
- William Mordido, Buko, Auckland, New Zealand
Each young chef’s application and signature dish was evaluated by experts at the World’s Leading International Educational and Training Centre for Italian Cuisine, ALMA, in charge of the local finalist selection.
The experts of ALMA evaluated the applications in adherence to the five “Golden Rules”: ingredients, skill, genius, beauty and message.
“It is the third time now that we have the responsibility to select the young chefs for the local finals, but we continue to be amazed by how much flair and passion for fine food these young talents possess.” said Andrea Sinigaglia, general manager of ALMA.
“Having to select only 10 semi-finalists for each region when you are presented with so many interesting applications is not at all easy. It is also our responsibility to accompany all candidates in a way that renders the competition realistic and highly educational.”
From June to December 2017 the semi finalists of each region will compete in local challenges. Each region will have a jury composed of leading independent chefs, who will judge the semi finalists’ signature dishes and select the best one, based on the five Golden Rules.
Australia Pacific’s judges are:
- Christine Manfield, author & chef, Universal & Paramount, Sydney Australia
- Scott Pickett, Estelle, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Paul Carmichael, Momofuku, Sydney, Australia
- Andrew McConnell, Supernormal, Melbourne, Australia
- Jacques Reymond, L’Hôtel Gitan, Melbourne, Australia
For Australia Pacific the local challenge will be held in Melbourne, Australia at the Crown College Culinarium.
By the end of December 2017, 21 young chefs from around the globe will be announced as the official finalists, who will move on to the grand finale, to be held in June 2018.
Each finalist will be assigned a mentor chef (a member of their regional jury), who will provide them with guidance on how to improve their signature dishes and support them in their preparation for the international finals.