Hunter Valley’s Ian Tinkler earns Living Legend status
The 2017 Hunter Valley Wine Industry Living Legend was revealed at a gala event at the Cypress Lakes Ballroom on 25 May.
Now in its 11th year, the title is awarded to a winemaker who has been contributing significantly to the Hunter Valley wine industry for at least 30 years.
This year, the Living Legend status was given to Ian Tinkler, who has been growing grapes and producing premium quality wines on his Pokolbin family properties for more than 35 years.
Past winners include Ian Scarborough, Brian McGuigan, Bruce Tyrrell and Jay Tulloch, who presented Tinkler with his award and thanked him for his outstanding contribution to the industry.
Hunter Valley Wine & Tourism Association chairman George Souris said “Hunter Valley Wine Country – right on the doorstep of the gateway to Sydney – has gained international recognition as a premier wine and food destination thanks to the hard work, research and caretaking by industry stalwarts like Ian and we thank him for that.”
Other award winners on the night were:
- Rising Star of the Year – Rauri Donkin (Bimbadgen Estate)
- Viticulturist of the Year – Andrew Pengilly (Tyrrell’s Wines)
- Cellar Door of the Year – Thomas Wines
- Winemaker of the Year – Mark Richardson (Tyrrell’s Wines)
- Heritage Awards – Rothbury Cemetery
- HV Award for Excellence – Bruce Tyrrell (Tyrrell’s Wines)