The Seven Network has told the federal court that Channel Nine’s new reality cooking show, The Hotplate is infringing the copyright of its highly successful reality program My Kitchen Rules.
Seven commenced legal proceedings earlier this week, telling the federal court that The Hotplate follows a similar formula to that of My Kitchen Rules where contestants compete against opponents in the pressure of their own “domain”, The Guardian reports.
Seven alleges that the three episodes of The Hotplate that have aired since the program launched last month have taken key elements from My Kitchen Rules. My Kitchen Rule was first launched in 2010.
“The contestants or judges come to your domain and judge you, your food and the presentation of your food,” counsel for Channel 7, Richard Lancaster SC told the Court.
According to SMH, Seven sought an urgent injunction to stop Channel Nine from airing the fourth episode of The Hotplate on Tuesday, 4 August – the same day that the matter went to court.
Federal Court Justice, John Nicholas said that an abrupt halt to the airing of the show could potentially “kill off” the program, and that he would hold off granting any injunction until later in the week.
Channel Nine is expected to claim that The Hotplate has differences to My Kitchen Rules.
The Hotplate stars Melbourne chef Scott Pickett together with UK food writer Tom Parker Bowles. The show sees the pair travel around Australia and visit established restaurants. These restaurants then compete against each other for a $100,000 prize haul.
My Kitchen Rules stars chefs Pete Evans, Manu Feildel and Colin Fassnidge and features teams competing for in ordinary homes, and in a studio later in the season for a $250,000 prize.