Pineapples are a beloved fruit associated with warmth and hospitality, but few people know about the deep Australian growing history of this tropical fruit. Golden Circle began as a grower cooperative in the 1940’s with the pineapple cannery commencing production in Northgate, Queensland in 1947. Initially producing around 40,000 tonnes of canned pineapple annually, the Northgate cannery now produces over 150,000 tonnes per year of canned pineapple, fruit juices and cordials.
Pineapples have been at the heart of the Golden Circle brand since its earliest beginnings. With its rich soils and near perfect growing conditions, Queensland has become synonymous with Australian-grown pineapple. Golden Circle are working towards minimising their impact on the environment, with new techniques such as living mulch and conservation tillage producing benefits in the soil and reduced fuel usage.
Pineapple slices have become a popular ingredient for adding a sweet and tangy flavour to the classic Aussie burger. The pineapple’s acidity can help cut through the richness, making for a perfectly balanced bite.
Looking for a new and unique way to incorporate Golden Circle pineapples into your menu? Try this recipe for a delicious schnitzel burger with a sweet and tangy twist.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 20g butter
- Golden Circle® Pineapple Thins in Juice
- 4 crumbed chicken breast schnitzels, pre-cooked
- 4 hamburger buns, split in half
- HEINZ® [SERIOUSLY] GOOD® Original Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ fennel bulb or 2 tsp of fennel seeds, slightly toasted
- 4 leaves of cos lettuce
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Cook pineapple slices in a pan with oil and butter for 30mins.
- Heat schnitzels as per instructions.
- Preheat grill or salamander on high heat. Toast the cut sides of the burger buns until lightly golden. Place bun bases on plates.
- In a processor, blend mayo, mustard and fennel until fennel is smooth.
- Spread buns with mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, schnitzels, roasted pineapple slices and cover with bun tops.
- Serve with a side of fries.
Indulge in the delicious combination of crispy chicken schnitzel and sweet Golden Circle pineapple thins in this unique burger recipe.