Shannon Martinez’s wonton noodle soup
Smith & Daughters and Smith & Deli chef and owner Shannon Martinez demonstrates how to make a tasty wonton noodle soup.
- 3 coriander stalks
- 20g garlic
- 20g ginger
- 80g spring onions
- 1tsp pickled chilli paste (to taste)
- 400g fresh vegan mince
- 150g firm tofu, pressed for 15 minutes between paper towel to remove excess moisture
- 100g dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and finely diced
- 20g dried black fungus, soaked and finely chopped
- 2tbs Chinese cooking wine
- 1tbs soy sauce
- 1tbs sugar
- 30 ml CHEF Mushroom Liquid Concentrate
- 1tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2tbs corn flour
- Dumpling or wonton wrappers
- ½ cup veg oil
- 8 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 80g ginger, peeled and julienne
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 spring onions, finely sliced, whites and greens kept seperate
- 120ml CHEF Demi Glace Liquid Concentrate
- 3L water mixed
- 4 whole star anise
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 x 10 cm piece dried kombu, torn (optional)
- 2tbs sesame oil
- Crispy chilli oil
- In a food processor, add coriander, garlic, spring onion, chilli and blitz until a rough paste.
- Add vege mince, tofu, remaining dumpling ingredients and pulse until well combined but not totally smooth.
- Spoon 1 tsp of mixture onto each dumpling wrapper and fold into desired dumpling shape, then place on a lined tray.
- Once you have the required amount of dumplings, bring broth back up to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Gently drop dumplings into broth and cook for approx. 3 minutes.
- Once the dumplings are cooked, fish out of the broth and place into a bowl, then ladle the broth over to cover.
- Garnish with coriander, green spring onions and plenty of chilli oil.
- Heat a large pot or saucepan over a medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add shallots, white parts of spring onion, and the ginger. Cook until beginning to soften, then add garlic, star anise and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the water and mix through the CHEF Vegetable Liquid Concentrate, followed by the soy sauce and kombu if using. Bring up to the boil, and simmer for 20 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat and stand while you make the dumplings.
Serving suggestion: Garnish with coriander, green spring onion and plenty of chilli oil.