Mosman Rowers up in flames

04 April, 2019 by
Hospitality Magazine

Mosman Rowers club went up in flames on Wednesday morning after an incident involving the venue’s gas fireplace.

The chimney reportedly ignited, resulting in a fire in the ceiling of the 108-year-old venue.

Advertisement

Two men from the neighbouring Mosman Bay Marina leapt to action, hosing the venue from the outside before firefighters arrived on the scene, quickly bringing the blaze under control.

Advertisement

In total, 20 trucks attended the scene along with the station’s tugboat, which battled the blaze from the water. Nobody was hurt and all people were safely evacuated.

Mosman Rowers addressed the incident on social media and said they were working to reopen as soon as possible.

“Due to a fire we will be closed until further notice,” reads the statement. “This was an isolated incident involving the fireplace on the Archie Bear level. We will share more information when we have it, but we will be closed until further notice.”

The heritage-listed club only reopened on 15 March after significant financial woes. The club raised $150,000 from the local community and signed up 500 new members to secure its future.

Mosman Rowers relaunched under Bird & Bear Group (The Sandy Bear, The Flying Bear) after an extensive renovation across the three-storey venue, which included a new fit-out, restaurant and bar.