Food friendly wines from the Hunter Valley
Right off the back of a stellar 2014 vintage, this year’s Hunter Valley wine show brought some very stiff competition to the table.
Over half of the 2014 Hunter Shiraz entered into this year’s show were awarded medals, with show president Tim Murray stating that the 2014 vintage well and truly lived up to the hype.
Over 730 locally grown and made wines went through a complex judging system with 69 gold, 120 silver and 208 bronze medals as well as 23 Trophies were awarded in total.
Hospitality recently attended a master class showcasing the winning drops in conjunction with the Hunter Valley Wine and Tourism Association. Below is a list of our favourites from the event, each of which in our opinion are beautiful, food friendly wines.
- Bimbadgen 2015 Vermentino: Trophy – Best Other White Trophy
- First Creek 2015 Semillion: Trophy – Best Current Semillon
- Briar Ridge 2015 Verdelho: Trophy – Best Verdelho
- First Creek 2014 Chardonnay: Trophy – Best Current and One Year Old Chardonnay
- Tyrrell’s 2013 Belford Chardonnay: Trophy – Best Two Year Old and Older Chardonnay
- Tyrrell’s 2014 Vat 9 Shiraz: Gold medal
- Audrey Wilkinson 2014 Tempranillo: Trophy – Best Other Red Trophy
- Brokenwood 2014 Kats & Dogs Shiraz: Gold medal
- Briar Ridge 2013 Dairy Hill Shiraz: Trophy – Best Two Year Old Shiraz
- De luliis 2013 Limited Release Shiraz: Gold medal
- Thomas Wines 2014 Elenay Shiraz: Gold medal
For the full list of winners from this year’s show, click here.