A panel of industry leaders including Mark Best, Peter Gilmore, Luke Mangan and Dave Pynt has selected the national finalists for the Electrolux Appetite for Excellence Young Chef and Young Waiter categories.
The Young Chefs were required to cook a two course meal critiqued by judges in a series of Cook-Offs, while the Young Waiters demonstrated their service skills and knowledge in a pop-up restaurant.
Marque’s Mark Best (who recently announced he’s closing his Sydney fine diner), said “It’s exciting to see the calibre of entrants in the awards strengthen each year – this year we’ve had some of our best young chefs, waiters and restaurateurs in the awards yet.
“We’re lucky to have a large and diverse pool of young hospitality talent in Australia, and it’s important to help foster the growth of industry up-and-comers so that Australia’s hospitality sector can continue to shine.”
All Electrolux Appetite for Excellence national finalists will take part in an educational produce tour in NSW in July, where they will meet farmers, harvesters and producers in a key food region.
The national winners for the Young Chef, Restaurateur and Waiter categories will be presented at an awards ceremony in Sydney on 8 August.
Young Waiter national finalists
- Andrew Day, Akiba, ACT
- Dylan Labuschagne, Stillwater Restaurant, TAS
- George Papaioannou, Luxemburg, VIC
- Morgan Golledge, Blackbird Bar & Grill, QLD
- Natasha Janetzki, Blackbird Bar & Grill, QLD
- Rory McCallum, Supernormal, VIC
Young Chef national finalists
- Aaron Ward, Sixpenny, NSW
- Jordan Monkhouse, Aria Brisbane, QLD
- Mal Meiers, Fatto Bar & Cantina, VIC
- Nick Gannaway, The Bridge Room, NSW
- Thiago Miranda, Church St Enoteca, VIC
- Troy Crisante, Bennelong Restaurant, NSW
- Zackary Furst, IDES, VIC
Young Restaurateur national finalists
- Cameron Cansdell, bombini, NSW
- David Ralph, Kim Restaurant, NSW
- Dave Parker, San Telmo, VIC
- Kelvin Shaw, Altair Restaurant, VIC